Home » Study Programmes » Biochemistry
Study programme description:
The principle objective of the university study programme in Biochemistry is to acquire a sound knowledge base in all major fields of biochemistry and molecular biology, acquire sufficient knowledge in biochemistry informatics, mathematics, and physics, and generals skills for laboratory work and practical skills for independent routine and research work in biochemistry laboratories. With this level of knowledge and skills candidates should be able to continue studies on master’s programmes in biochemistry, chemistry, biotechnology, biomedicine and other life sciences.
Admission requirements and selection criteria
Applicants for the Biochemistry programme are expected to meet the following criteria:
Admission is limited to 40 candidates.
Should there be more than 40 applicants, the selection of candidates will be based on the following criteria: general results from the Matura exam (60 % points) and general learning results from 3rd and 4th years of secondary school (40 % points). For the applicants who finished secondary school programmes before June 1st, 1995, the following criteria will be taken into account: school-leaving exam (60 % points ), and general learning results from 3rd and 4th years of secondary school (40 % points ).
Criteria for recognition of knowledge and skills acquired before admission to the programme
Prior learning will be recognised if the knowledge the candidate has previously acquired is compatible with the teaching contents of the Biochemistry programme. Prior knowledge may be acquired through various forms of education, however, the recognition of knowledge and skills will depend on the decision of the Study Commission of FKKT. Applicants must submit written application and provide certificates and other evidence of the knowledge and skills acquired before.
Previously acquired education will be recognised if the conditions for the enrolment in the previous programme are similar to the conditions for admission to Biochemistry programme, if at least 75% of the scope of courses in previous education are identical to Biochemistry programme and if at least 75% of the teaching contents correspond with the subject to be recognised. If previously acquired education has been approved and recognised by the Study Commission, the subjects are allocated the same number of ECTS as the subjects in Biochemistry programme.
Course progression requirements
To progress to the following year of studies, the candidate must provide evidence of lecture attendance (inscription and frequency) for all subjects, and complete all exercises and other obligations required by the subjects for a particular year. Additional progression requirements are:
For progression to the second year: 60 credit points obtained.
For progression to the third year: completed exams from the first year and 60 credit points obtained from the second year.
A student may repeat the year if he/she has obtained 20 credit points required for that particular year.
P – lectures; S – seminar; V – exercises; D – other forms of pedagogical work (e.g. project work); ECTS – credit points according to the European Credit Transfer System (1 ECTS equals 30 hours of student load)
Requirements for completion of studies
The study programme is completed if the candidate has fulfilled all obligations from the courses and prepared and successfully defended his/her diploma work according to the Rules on Diploma Work, adopted by the Senate of the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana.
Transitions between study programmes
Student performance is assessed by knowledge testing for each individual course. Assessment and testing are carried out in the form of oral and written exams, colloquia, seminars and projects. Forms of assessment and student obligations are set out by the syllabi for each individual subject. Other forms of continuous performance assessment are determined by the syllabi and form a component of the final grade. Testing and grading procedures are regulated by the Rules on Examinations of the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana, which has been adopted by the Senate of the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana.
© 2013 FKKT. All rights reserved! | Comments and questions on webmaster.